STEAMBOAT ART MUSEUM PLEIN AIR 2022
EVENTS AND EXHIBIT
Friday, September 23 – Friday, September 30, 2022
Exhibit on display and for sale at SAM Oct. 1 through Nov. 5, 2022
SAM’s Plein Air Event brings together the community and visitors with 50 artists from near and far as they paint on location.
Showcasing the beauty of the Yampa Valley, the art that is created during this extraordinary week spotlights historic landmarks, ranches, the landscape, the community of Steamboat Springs and our growing arts and cultural offerings.
This event is uniquely Steamboat!
This is becoming one of the most popular events among Plein Air artists because of our Steamboat hospitality and breathtaking scenery. Again, this year, there will be many unique events to get to know the artists and the judge and purchase work.
A perfect time to start or add to your collection.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
Saturday, September 24: Quick Draw at the Farmers Market
- 10am – 12 noon – Artists paint around the Farmers Market
- 12:30 pm – 2 pm – Sales and awards at the SAM tent
Wednesday, September 28: Sunset Reception at Alpine Mountain Ranch and Club
5:00 – 7:00pm
Tickets are available online at Eventbrite
Thurs Sept 29: An Evening with Dan Young- Join Dan at SAM as he discusses his work and career.
- 5:00 – 6:00 pm. Free to artists and members, $10 suggested donation for the public
Friday, September 30: Opening Reception and Awards
- 4:00 – 5:00 pm – Art Benefactor Early Admission
- 5:00 – 8:00 pm – General Public Admission and Awards
- 6:00 pm – Awards Ceremony
FEATURED ARTIST & GUEST JUDGE
Dan Young was born in Denver, and grew up in western Colorado. “ Camping and fishing throughout the Rocky Mountains as a child, has been a strong influence on me and my work,” Young stated. He attended the Colorado Institute of Art, hoping to find a direction in art. After graduation, he moved to Dallas to pursue the commercial art field. Even with a successful Illustration career, the landscape was always calling him back. In 1989, he returned to Colorado to begin painting full time. Young enjoys painting the rural life of the west, the ranches that dot the mountain valleys and river bottoms. He states,“ Though I’m a landscape painter, I like introducing hints of man’s presence in the landscape. Sometimes I feel I’m in a race to paint a disappearing way of life. It’s hard to watch so many of the family farms and ranches being swallowed up by development.”
Young clings strongly to the importance of painting from life. He feels painting from life was the most important stepping stone for his career. Most days you can find him painting along a backroad or beside a mountain lake.
Please contact Betse to become a sponsor or feel free to download the sponsor packet, fill it out, and mail or drop it off at the museum!
Artists’ Schedule 2022
Friday, Sept 23– Artist Check-In at SAM ~ 807 Lincoln Ave and OPEN Paint Day
8 am – 5 pm:
· Artists check-in and turn in paperwork for registration.
· *Note* – Paperwork found in a recent email from Dottie, as well as on the website- go to Plein Air Event, then Artists Info tab, then Artists Forms. Please feel free to fill out Registration Forms BEFORE you come to SAM for registration, to speed up registration.
· Get your canvases/paper for the week stamped.
· Artist Info Packets and SWAG bags distributed.
· More info will be included in your Artist's Packet at registration. Please Read ALL Materials!
Saturday, Sept 24 – QUICK DRAW at the Steamboat Farmer’s Market ~ 7th and Yampa Streets.
Suggested Boundaries – from 5th -9th, and the River to Lincoln Ave.
· 9:00 am: Market opens. Artists arrive and check in at SAM table (near 8th and Yampa) for exclusive Quick Draw canvas/paper stamp. Find a location to paint!
· 10:00 am: Bell rings and artists begin painting.
· 12:00 pm: Artists stop painting and begin framing. Artists are responsible for bringing frames and their own framing materials. (Don’t forget your wire!).
o All paintings are to be displayed on the easel you bring, so please plan accordingly. Your painting easel is fine.
· 12:30 – Judging for Main Street Farmer’s Market Award of Excellence. Painting sales begin, but no artwork to leave premises until the award is announced.
· Through 2:00 pm- Artwork for sale.
· 12 pm- Boxed Lunch available for Artists ~ at SAM Tent.
NOTE: Private painting locations are not open to the public.
Sunday, September 25 – (optional) Painting access to various locations at Catamount Ranch and the Rehder Ranch at Lake Catamount or Exploring the Yampa Valley on your own. (CCALT and HRC, plus YRV for water tributaries)
– Specific Locations will be outlined and mapped in your Artists Packet DAY TO DAY INFO at Registration.
Monday, Sept. 26 – North Routt Loop, including the Carpenter-Frye Ranch and Fetcher Barn or explore on your own – SAM has arranged access to properties and suggested locations in North Routt for interesting painting inspiration. We have identified a 58-mile loop that can be driven in either direction starting and ending at SAM. – Specific Locations will be outlined and mapped in your Artists Packet DAY TO DAY INFO at Registration.
Tuesday, Sept. 27 – Paint at Perry Mansfield Perry Mansfield Art Camps or Explore on your own. 40755 Co Rd 36
Explore the beautiful grounds and historic buildings of North America's oldest performing arts camp. Look up their rich history at www.perry-mansfield.org. Location is outlined and mapped in your Artists Packet DAY TO DAY INFO at Registration.
Wednesday, Sept 28: Paint at Alpine Mountain Ranch (site of tonight’s reception) or explore on your own. 33105 Meadow Creek Trail. See the map for directions to interesting sites. Location is outlined and mapped in your Artists Packet DAY TO DAY INFO at Registration.
5:00-7:00pm – SUNSET RECEPTION AND SALE with Plein Air Artists and Patrons, underwritten by Alpine Mountain Ranch, at the Alpine Mountain Ranch Lakehouse. Artists attend for free. Tickets $65 for guests, and can be purchased at www.steamboatartmuseum.org
Thursday, September 29th: Main Street Steamboat Day – Paint Downtown Steamboat, (optional)
SAM opens at 8 am- Paint the town!
Main Street Award of Excellence: The painting that best illustrates the unique character of Downtown Steamboat. The area considered to be “Main Street” is from 3rd to 13th streets, Oak to Yampa Street.
· 8:00am – 4:30 pm: Painting Drop Off at SAM – (and briefly after Dan Young's presentation)
o Consignment Forms will be available on the website, at SAM, and at check-in
o All paintings must be framed, wired, and ready to hang.
o Please anchor the wire no more than 1/3 down from the top of the frame. Do not allow a lot of slack in the wire, ideally when pulled tight the arc of wire will be about 2 inches or more below the top of the frame. This helps paintings to hang flatter with our hanging system.
Artists may submit 3- 5 paintings for sale, and all paintings must be dropped off at the same time. Painting drop-off is all day Thurs Sept 29, 8am – 4pm. NO LATE SUBMISSIONS, NO EXCEPTIONS, NO LATE SUBSTITUTIONS!
· 5:00 – 6:00 pm: AN EVENING WITH DAN YOUNG – Q & A’s with the renowned artist and 2022 judge about his art and career.
Friday, Sept. 30 –Installation & Opening Reception
· 8 am – 1pm: Museum staff and volunteers Exhibit installation, tag printing, and Opening set-up.
· 2:00 – 3:30– Dan Young and Awards of Excellence Judging
· 3:30 – 5:00 pm: Opening and Sale for Art Benefactor Members ($250 and up)
· 5:00 – 8:00 pm: Public Reception and Sale
· 6:00 pm: Awards Ceremony
September 30th, – November 5th, 2022: SAM Plein Air Exhibition is open to the public.
o Museum will resume its regular schedule of being closed on Sundays and Mondays beginning
Sun., Sept. 30
Saturday, Nov. 5 – Final Day of Exhibition, Unsold Painting Pick-Up
· 11am – 6pm: Artists pick-up unsold art at SAM
· SAM will be closed from 11/06 to12/02/2022! Make arrangements with Dottie early!
Please paint within a 50-mile radius of Steamboat Springs.
Please plan on displaying your artwork on your easel, or a display easel that you bring, at the Quick Draw (9/24) and the Sunset Reception (9/28).
The Museum will often be closed during painting days unless we are preparing for an event. Staff will be at painting locations or painting also! The Plein Air 2022 stamp will be available at the Museum Store or with SAM staff at painting locations.
The SAM Museum Store will be open Tuesday through Saturday, 11am-5pm, where art supplies are available for purchase.
Directions/maps to scheduled painting sites are included in your DAY TO-DAY INFO (in your packet at registration) and will also be posted on the door of SAM every morning. You do not need to meet at SAM first.